Navigue dans le monde

Reviens à la carte Monde
legende_trait Légende
  • legend-region Régions
  • legend-capitale Capitale
  • legend-ville Villes
Alternative content
legende_trait Légende
  • > 90
  • entre 90 et 70
  • entre 70 et 50
  • entre 50 et 35
  • < 35

Jobs and Internships in USA

Etats-Unis - ENG

Emplois & Stages

Labour market in the United States

The U.S. labor market is very strong and is "healthy," according to a report by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The figures speak of 2.2 million jobs created in 2016, including 156,000 in December of the same year.

To increase your chances of getting a job in the USA, you should focus on the most promising sectors, such as: catering (30,000 creations), retail, foreign language teaching or the social sector. Mastering the language is imperative.

If you wish to have more information on the labour market in a particular state, go to the destination page of the state of your choice in our theme " Jobs & Internships ".

Wages and regulations for working in the United States

To work full-time in the United States, count 40 hours per week. Part-time is 30 hours per week.

Working hours in the United States are generally from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday with a total of one and a half hours of breaks during the day. Be aware that in some areas you will be required to work more than 40 hours per week.

A new employee in a company is entitled to 1 to 2 weeks of paid leave per year. After working for a long time in a company, he can get up to 4 weeks of paid holidays in a year.

A little hitch for those thinking of working in the United States: the employer can fire you as he sees fit without notice or compensation. So try to be above reproach in your American company.

Life in the United States is expensive but the salaries are substantial. For a beginner, count between 7.50 and 11€ per hour. The minimum wage in most states of America is 6.6€ per hour but it is very rare to receive such a low wage.

Student jobs

Under no circumstances will the student visa allow you to work in the United States. You will therefore need to apply for a work visa.

Newspapers and Internet are the best ways to find a student job in the United States. Be far-sighted! It can take a long time to find a job in the United States, so be involved in your search. Think about Linkedln as well, which today is a very good technological way to find a job.

What student jobs to do in the U.S.?

Boston, San Francisco, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles are the cities where the chances of finding a student job are relatively high. Please note that the United States of America is a huge country and you will almost certainly find student jobs in most cities across the country.

The variety of student jobs in the United States can be a real asset: au pair, vacation instructor, job in an amusement park or national park, waiter, hotel business, beach surveillance, logistics, etc... There is no shortage of jobs, especially in tourism-related activities in the United States, especially during the summer months.

As a student, companies will usually offer you a salary of 7.5€ per hour.

Doing an internship in the United States

Good English is necessary to find an internship in the United States. It is of course essential that you do this in advance. Especially since the internship system is not necessarily very common in the USA. Companies will therefore welcome international students with open arms.

In order to find training in the United States, several entities and websites can help you: job websites, blogs, forums, employment agencies, Linkedln, etc.

How to apply for a visa

An application for a J-1 visa is required for paid internship or employment in the United States. This visa is intended for young professionals under the age of 35.

Good to know: It is mandatory to take out private medical insurance before you leave for your student trip to the United States!

Assurance pour les stages

La responsabilité civile est une assurance obligatoire en stage. Elle est souvent exigée dès l’inscription dans la plupart des établissements d’enseignement supérieur. Elle prend en charge, en France et à l’étranger, les dommages corporels, matériels et immatériels que vous pourriez causés à un tiers lors d’un stage ou à l’occasion des activités quotidiennes (sorties, babysitting …). L’assurance Responsabilité civile, se substitue au responsable pour indemniser la victime. A défaut d’assurance, vous devrez vous-même vous charger de l’indemnisation de la victime.

Voici quelques exemples pour lesquels votre responsabilité civile vous couvre :

  • Vous renversez le café sur le PC du voisin ;
  • Vous vous faites voler le matériel prêté par l’entreprise ;
  • Vous bousculez par inadvertance votre collègue qui malheureusement se casse le bras ;

L’individuelle accident, quant à elle, couvre les dommages corporels subis à la suite d’un évènement accidentel.

Avec notre partenaire HEYME, à partir de 13€/an, vous bénéficiez d’une couverture complète, votre contrat prend effet immédiatement et vous recevez votre attestation par email.

Avez-vous trouvé les informations que vous recherchiez ? oui OUI non NON