Navigue dans le monde

Reviens à la carte Monde
legende_trait Légende
  • legend-region Régions
  • legend-capitale Capitale
  • legend-ville Villes
Alternative content
legende_trait Légende
  • > 90
  • entre 90 et 70
  • entre 70 et 50
  • entre 50 et 35
  • < 35

Formalities in Netherlands

Pays-Bas - ENG


To go to the Netherlands, whether for a short or a long stay, there are a number of steps and administrative formalities to be taken.

Short stay

For a stay of less than 90 days in the Netherlands, EU nationals can travel to the Netherlands with a valid identity document, either a national identity card or passport. A passport is essential if you want to travel to the Netherlands Antilles for less than 30 days.

Long stay

In the case of a long stay (more than 90 days), there are no visa or residence permit requirements.

If you are coming to study or work in the Netherlands, you will only have to prove that you are legally resident in the Netherlands once you have arrived. To do this, you will need to obtain a certificate of registration, issued by the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND: Immigratie en NaturalisatieDienst) and subsequently register your place of residence with the city council in order to obtain the BSN (personal number "Burgerservicenummer" replacing the SOFI-nummer). This BSN will allow you to open your bank account, buy your car, etc.

In addition, it is important to register yourself in the register of French people in the Netherlands, in order to be entitled to many administrative facilities during your stay.

Health coverage

People travelling to the Netherlands for a long period of time must be affiliated to the country's general social security system. Those who wish to stay in the Netherlands for a short period of time must have health coverage.

Hence the importance of having the CEAM, giving access to health care on the same basis as a Dutch citizen.

Moreover, the CEAM does not guarantee a full refund of health care fees. Patients will be reimbursed on the basis of French tariffs. For 100% reimbursement of actual costs, consider taking out additional insurance.

Driver's license

People with a French driving licence valid for a period of 10 years (from the date of issue) will not have to exchange it for a Dutch driving licence. They can drive in the Netherlands without any worries.

On the other hand, if the driving licence has expired, it is obligatory to go to the town hall of the residence in order to exchange it for a Dutch copy.

Real estate rental

The rental agreement (lease) is a document that protects the interests of both the landlord and the tenant. The contract must therefore include all the elements relating to the property (surface area, address, inventory of fixtures, etc.), the duration of the lease and the amount of the rent.

To protect your rights as a tenant, also mention in the contract all the charges included in the rent (electricity, gas, etc.). These can be shared between the two parties, as they can be charged to the landlord.

If the lease contract also requires a one- or two-month security deposit, make sure that this is also included in the lease contract.

A copy of the pay slip or proof of solvency may be required for students.

Opening a bank account

If you are in the Netherlands for a long stay, consider opening a Dutch bank account - it's not at all rocket science!

All you have to do is go to your future bank - all advisors communicate fluently in English - with the following documents: valid passport, proof of address and BSN number.

For your bank account, we advise you N26 which is La banque Mobile. N26 transforms the banking experience to make it simple, fast and modern. You can open your bank account in less than 8 minutes, use an N26 Mastercard worldwide, send instant transfers to other N26 users, receive real-time account notifications and much more...

Open your N26 current account for 0€/month

Opening of a mobile line

Calling from your French number in the Netherlands is anything but convenient. Whether making or receiving calls, communication costs can quickly become astronomical.

To communicate at low cost, the ideal solution is to open a national mobile line with one of the Dutch operators. Just remember to bring your identity card (ID or passport) with you.

If you wish to keep your number, you can opt to subscribe to an international mobile line. More information here.


No vaccinations are required for travelling to the Netherlands for any reason. However, some vaccinations are strongly recommended.

Authorized medicines

If you are planning to transport medicines to the Netherlands, you should be aware that there are strict rules in this area.


Créer votre alerte

Vous recevrez un email quand le prix du billet d'avion sera au plus bas.

Avez-vous trouvé les informations que vous recherchiez ? oui OUI non NON